JohnHamptonshireJohnHamptonshire

Main Art Favorites Reviews Stats

The Guardian The Guardian

You seem to have made the same mistake a lot of authors on Newgrounds have made over the past years... If you decide that you want to tell a story, want to do that visually but don't want to make a movie, clip or film but and instead go for a different medium, make sure you utilize the characteristics of that medium, don't forget, neglect or disregard them. You chose to tell us a story through a little video game. I can think of a lot of video games that not only manage to keep telling a wonderful story throughout the time it takes to finish them, but also keep in mind that the actual PLAYING of it needs to stay interesting, compelling and motivating enough for the player to keep going. After all, if you want to finish telling the story, you will need to keep the player with you, focused and interested, towards the end. In your case (and many other cases on Newgrounds), this seems to have been forgotten. The story itself is interesting and visually you tell it wonderfully, but you seem to have forgotten that since you chose to use the video games medium, you need to provide us (the audience) with actual gameplay that will motivate us to keep playing. What you did instead is give us tedious gameplay that is not that compelling at first and becomes even less interesting when you make us repeat it multiple times. If you're not going to utilize the defining characteristics of the video game medium (namely, the gameplay) to the fullest, I suggest just telling your story in a different way (like, for example, an animation).
Having said that, don't consider this a failure; it is well-made and full of charm, it just lacks the game-aspect needed to make us want to finish your story.

simian.interface simian.interface

Unbelievably good! Should've gotten Weekly 1st Place IMO! The presentation, the simple yet awesome graphics, the amazing soundtrack (seriously, it's not just good chiptune, it's diverse and really motivating!), the humor and of course the puzzles, which keep getting better and harder, never get boring and o wow you even got some Mondriaan in there.
10/10, insta-fave. If every product had the same quality as this game, noone would ever complain again.

J-J-Jump J-J-Jump

Ah man, screw you guys for making that last part without a checkpoint! Seriously though, I've been on Newgrounds for years now, I've played tons and tons of games and I have to say: this is one of the best-made games I've seen so far. Everything is exactly right - the controls, the music, the graphics, the in-game gravity, the puzzles, the jumping - it's all done so very well. My utter respect for making a game this fun, addictive and well-executed. I vowed to finish it as soon as I started playing, and looking back at it now I can't say I regret that. Well, except for the fact that my eyes are bleeding now.

Flightless Flightless

HotDAMN this game looks and plays like an absolute charm! Love the visuals, love the music, love the gameplay and you even threw in a 2-P mode! I'm very impressed!
The graphics remind me a lot of The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap on the GBA for some reason, any chance that game influenced you?

Deep Sleep Deep Sleep

I really really hate to say this but it's my honest opinion on your game:

It's great, but it could've been better.

Sometimes the game is just too unclear in letting you know what to do or where to go. I personally believe a point-and-click should always give hints on where the player should head next.
I also feel the game was too short and didn't have enough substance - you could've done so much more with this beautiful world you created.
Having said that, those were the only two problems I had with your game. Now to focus on the great elements.
Visuals and audio are amazing. The pixelated look gave it all the more charm and I think you did an amazing job making this dreamworld feel alive. I also liked the spooky elements like the shadowy ghost, although I'd love to see you go even further with the scary stuff if you ever make any future games.
All in all, a bit dissapointed because I honestly think this game has much, MUCH more potential. Take the criticism into consideration and please make a similar game - I'm absolutely sure you are able to give us an amazing classic or maybe even multiple ones.

Super Mega Bot Super Mega Bot

Alright guy...

You're gonna have to tell me where or how I can get my hands on this amazing soundtrack - it's way too awesome to be left alone.

I liked the game, though I felt it could've been something more... It's a bit too generic if you know what I mean?
The graphics were great though and I don't think I have to point out how much I loved the sountrack any further...
The gameplay was okay-ish; it wasn't the most original and kinda reminded me of VVVVVV, but at least it was enjoyable and not too hard or frustrating.

All in all, good job, and get me that soundtrack for the love of everything 8-bit! I need it!

Vector Rush Vector Rush

O GOD WAT

I didn't expect such a game at first!

But hey, good job! I like how you kept the design simple and straight-forward; players won't be distracted while playing and thus can focus on actually evading obstacles. You could've gone wrong there, but you didn't - very good!

Like the music too, just enough to get you pumped up for another round!

Great job!

Gravity Duck Gravity Duck

Dissapointing, in a way...

It's clear that you've done a very good job in making this; nice (if a little repetitive) music, though more songs would've been nice. The graphics are cute. Level design is fine too. But the gameplay is where it all goes wrong IMO. Not because the gameplay is bad, but because it's simply too much like VVVVVV. In no way is this a reason to ignore this game, but I'm somewhat dissapointed in the fact that you took VVVVVV's mechanics and did close to nothing to change it.
For this reason, I am giving the game 7 out of 10 stars, though I'd say it's a 6,5. It's just too much like VVVVVV (and to be honest, I find VVVVVV to have more charm too). You should've given this game more of its own character, and it woul've been fine.

MegaTankMan MegaTankMan

Really great!

You've managed to get that vintage Megaman-feel in this game and even though it's not as difficult as the original Megaman-games (as the games are still known for their difficulty), I think it's a really impressive achievement to get so close to the original source material. I love what you've done with it, and that alone deserves a 10/10 IMO.

Very, very good job!

Lambtaco responds:

I don't know about that, I'd say it's about as hard as the average robot master stage. Definitely not the harder ones though, or a Wiley Stage. Thanks for the review.

Run, Jesus Run! Run, Jesus Run!

Awesome.

I love it when blasphemy is THIS funny. Great stuff, I had a great ton of fun!